Voter id card is issued by the Election Commission of India and it was first introduced in 1993. It is necessary to have it with every Indian citizen who is eligible for it. We can also use a Voter ID card as proof of identity which is given by the government to Indian citizens.
What is Voter Id card?
Voter ID Card is also known as EPIC which is stands for Electrons Photo Identity Card. Voter ID card is mandatory for every Indian citizen to vote in any election, without a voter ID card eligible persons cannot vote in any election.
We can also use a Voter ID card as proof of identity which is given by the government to Indian citizens. Voter ID card as proof of being an adult citizen of India. This card is commonly known by different names like election card, voter’s card, voter id card.
Structure of New Voter Id Card
Initially, the voter ID cards used to be printed with black ink on regular paper and laminated. But since 2015, the Indian government started making Voter ID cards colorful and made of PVC.
On the Front of Voter ID Card:
- Card holder’s name.
- Name of any relative given by him. (Such as Father or Mother)
- Card holder’s photo.
- Voter ID Number.
On the back of the voter ID card:
- The gender of the cardholder.
- Cardholder’s age.
- Cardholder’s address.
- Voter ID Card Generation Date.
- Signature photo of Electrical Registration Officer.
- Voter’s electoral district and Assembly Constituency Number.
What is the Full Form of NVSP?
The Full Form of NVSP is National Voters Service Portal
HOW TO APPLY FOR A VOTER Card 2021
There are two ways to apply for Voter ID cards applicants can apply for voter ID cards either offline or online. The steps to apply for a voter ID card are given below-
Apply Offline Mode:
If applicants do not understand online facilities, then they can get their voter ID card offline mode. the steps are as follows:
- Applicant should visit any nearest State Election Office and request Form No.6.
- After that, the applicant should fill in all the required information asked in the form correctly.
- After that, the applicant should attach the required document asked in it along with the form such as identity proof, address proof, photo, etc.
- After filling in all the required information and documents correctly, the applicant should submit that form to the Respective Election Office.
- The voter ID card will be issued after form verification.
Apply Online Mode:
You can also get your voter ID card made sitting at home. Follow the following steps to get your Voter ID card online mode.
- Applicants should first visit the official website of the National Voter Service Portal (NVSP).
- After registering there, select the option of New Voter ID.
- After that Online Form, 6 will open and the applicant has to submit the form after filling in the details asked in it correctly.
- The applicant has to upload his/her photograph along with it and submit supporting documents for identity proof and address proof for voter ID status reference.
- Verification of the form of the applicant will be done after filling in all the correct information and required documents.
- After the submission form applicant’s voter ID card will be issued.
Voter ID card can be issued only if the applicant has given all the required documents and details are correct.
Documents Requirements for Voter Card
There are many options for the selection of required documents in address proof and identity proof (DOB proof) and the options are given below-
Options of required documents in address proof-
- Indian Passport
- Driving License
- Bank/Kisan/Post Office current PassBook
- Ration Card
- Income Tax Assessment Order
- Rent agreement
- Water Bill
- Telephone Bill
- Electricity Bill
- Gas Connection Bill
- Post/letter/mail delivered through Indian Postal Department
Options of required documents in identity proof (DOB)-
- Birth Certificate
- Marksheet of class 10th or 8th or 5th
- Indian Passport
- PAN Card
- Driving License
- Aadhar letter issued by UIDAI
The passport size photograph of the applicant is also taken for affixing in the Voter ID card.
Eligibility For Voter Card 2021
There are some eligibility to apply for Voter ID card which is as follows-
- To apply for a Voter ID card, the applicant must be above 18 years of age.
- To apply for a Voter ID card form, the applicant has to be a citizen of India.
- To apply for a Voter ID card, the applicant must have the documents which are required in the process of voter id card generation.
- To apply for a Voter ID card, the applicant should be of sound mind, have no financial bankruptcy, and no criminal case against him.
- To apply for a Voter ID card, the applicant should have a permanent address.
- To apply for a Voter ID Card, the applicant shouldn’t be disqualified as an elector.
Important Things Kept in Mind While Apply For Voter Card
These are some of the things that the applicant should keep in his mind when he is applying for a Voter ID card-
- The applicant can either apply for his voter ID card by visiting the nearest State Election Office or if he is applying online then he should apply through the official website of the National Voter Service Portal (NVSP).
- While filling the application form, enter all your information correctly such as an address, name, birth date as voter id card will also be useful for later as verified documents by the government.
- Even after the applicant has successfully received his/her Voter ID card, check back all the information given in the Voter ID card is correct in all aspects.
Voter Id Correction in Electoral Roll
If there is any mistake in your voter ID card at the time of filling the form or due to any external reason or you want some changes in your voter ID card, then you can get it corrected easily.
If any details in your Voter ID card are wrong then you do not need to worry, you can fill Form 8 there for correction in the Voter ID card, in which you can attach the required document and submit it to the Electoral Registration Officer or you can also submit it in the online portal. Once you have submitted your form, the Electoral Registry Office will process your application and make necessary changes to your Voter ID card.
Uses of Voter Id Card
Voter ID card has many uses which are as follows-
- The voter ID card can be used as identity proof and address proof which is issued by the Indian government.
- Through Voter ID cards, cardholders can get the benefit of many schemes of the Indian government.
- Through a Voter ID card, we get the right to vote in any election in the respective region of India.
- Voter ID cards have many personal features Such as the signature and photograph of the cardholder.
- Voter ID card gives us proof of being an adult citizen of India.
Why Voter Id is Important
- Having a Voter ID card is a must for every citizen of India who is eligible to have a Voter ID card.
- Through a Voter ID card, we get the right to vote, and giving a vote is very important for taking part in Indian democracy.
- Without a voter ID card, citizens cannot vote in panchayat elections also.
- We should contribute to voting as much as possible and for that, it is very important to have a Voter ID card.
How to Track Live Status of Voter Id Application
Now applicants can very easily track their Voter ID card application By visiting the Official site of the national voter’s service portal (NVSP).
Here are some steps to check the status of your Voter ID card.
- Login to the National Voter Service Portal (https://www.nvsp.in/).
- Then, enter your reference ID which you got at the time of registration of Voter ID, and form no.
- After that click on the given option of “track status”.
- The current status of your Voter ID will be displayed on the screen.
Latest Youtube Video of Voter Id Card 2021
NRI [Non-Resident Indian] Voter Id Card
If applicants are NRI citizens and want to apply for a Voter ID Card then they can apply for their Voter ID Card. In demand of some NRIs that they also want to vote in the Indian elections. So the Indian Government has provided the facility of NRI Voter ID for NRIs also.
The required conditions for making an NRI Voter ID card is given below.
- Applicant must be in the age of 18 years or above 18 years.
- The applicant must have his own photograph.
- Applicants should not have citizenship in any country other than India.
- The applicant should have a valid Indian passport.
- The Identity and Address details mentioned on the passport page should be attested by the Component Competent Officer of the Indian Nation in the Country of Residence.
NRI Citizens can apply online for their Voter ID Card. And he can also apply for an offline voter ID card if he is in India And if applicants are outside India and want to make a voter ID card then this is the procedure-
From the official site of NVPS, you can take a printout of form number 6 and fill that form with asked information and attach your required document and post it on the address mentioned on that site. After this process, NRI citizens can also apply for a Voter ID Card.
FAQ of Voter Id Card
Do NRI citizens also apply for Voter ID?
Yes, NRI citizens can also apply for a new Voter ID card, and the required process is given above. Click Here
Does any family member’s Voter ID number is required for Voter id card generation?
Yes, applicants’ family members(father, mother or husband or wife) Voter ID number is required for the generation of new Voter ID card.
How can I cancel my Voter ID card?
You can cancel your Voter ID card by filling form 7 by visiting the NVPS site or by going to the nearest state election office.
How long does it take to get a Voter ID card?
After successfully applying for Voter ID it takes 5-7 weeks to get a voter ID card by post.
What is the age declaration for applying for a new Voter ID card?
Applicants who are applying for a Voter ID card must be of age 18 or above 18 years.
Who is the Election Commissioner of India 2021?
The Election Commissioner of India 2021 is Sunil Arora.
Is a Voter ID card required for voting in any elections?
Yes, a Voter ID card is required for voting in any election.
What is the official website of Voter Id Card?
The Official Website of the Voter Id Card is: https://www.nvsp.in/